Saturday, September 29, 2007

Knitting Dedication

My friend moxiegirl has this trick when she's knitting a pair of something. She mixes up the colors. I totally understand this. It's such a drag to start a second identical sock when you've just finished the first; it's like "been there, done that, pleeease give me something new". However, I often, for one reason or another, really want the colors to be identically placed. Normally, I just engage my Scorpio-Leo willpower and muscle through it. But yesterday, while reading an interview with bodybuilder Shawn Phillips in "What is Enlightenment?" magazine, I had a new inspiration. Dedication!

Substitute "knitting" for "training" in SP's following words: "This includes dedicating the training to something or someone else to bring in some force. For example, right now my father is very ill, and I'll use that as a dedication. You can only push yourself so hard for your own good. But if you put it in a context of greater good for the world, or for someone else, it's a different story. You can literally double the output of the exercise."

Knitting may sound a bit frivolous to some in this context. But I don't agree. And - Hauptsache (main point) - it works for me. Dedicating my knitting of the second mitten to something critical honestly makes the process OK, even motivates me.

You know, if it isn't already, this idea should be included in the "Knitting Sutra".

No comments: