Saturday, September 29, 2007

Knitting, Eloise, Gwyneth and Irina

All I wanted to do last week while the kids were in FULL-DAY school was knit, right? Somehow it just NEVER happened. Steve was like, "What did you do all day?"

"Well, first I had to go through all that paperwork on the office floor, then..."

He stopped me with a laugh, "The things you have to do are like Eloise: 'Then I have to open and close the door for a while and as soon as I hear laughing I run down the hall and if a door is open I have to...'"

That seemed relatively patronizing and untrue. On the other hand, I'm not really bothered being compared to Eloise.

Esmé's best friend at school's name is Saylor - not a common name, right? To follow this Eloise-theme to its end, Eloise has a doll named Saylor with a very hard head and no arms, who was in "the most terriblest accident".

(Is my knowledge of this book a little over the top? Just keep in mind, my friends, I have a 6 and 5 year old who love it - and after reading it for the 10 billionth time, anybody with half a brain would know it verbatim, too.)

Irina, the new 17 year old member of our family, is a lovely girl. However, she's not very self-entertaining. Thus, I bought her "Die Nebel von Avalon", which she's now reading voraciously. Seeing it lying around on the kitchen island all the time, Steve and I decided to reread the English version ("Mists of Avalon"). So, speaking of Ez and literature, did you know there's a minor character named Gwyneth in it? Irina, by the way, is also learning how to knit. Books and knitting - she's got to do something, poor girl, since we don't have cable and she doesn't have any friends.

And with that, my post comes full circle.

No comments: